With high quality imaging and intelligent image analysis, CloneSelect™ Imager replaces time-consuming, subjective manual inspections with consistency and objectivity. Cell growth is viewed and tracked in every well in every plate.
- Consistent determination of cell confluence and cell number estimation
- Generation of growth curves
- Label-free, white light imaging of living cells
- Suitable for adherent and settled suspension cells
CloneSelect Imager has been successfully used on cells lines such as CHO (examples including DG44 and CHO-K1), HEK, Myeloma / Hybridoma, SupT1, Jurkat, H-4-II-E, MCF-7, PER.C6®, HT29, DLD1 and KB31.
Track confluence and cell number after fACS, limiting dilution or selection by clonePix
High Throughput Screening
- Electronic data tracking ensures control of high throughput processes
- Process up to 75 lidded plates in a single run
- Recommended and supplied through Molecular Devices - optimized for CloneSelect Imager
Cell Line Development
Verification of Monoclonality
Focus Only On Single Colonies – Saving Time and Effort
After initial seeding, CloneSelect Imager can image every well, at any time point, using a ‘loci of growth’ functionality to highlight those wells that contain a single colony – the essential requirement for output from FACS and limiting dilutions. The user only needs to review wells with a single colony.
Confidently Verify Colony Origin
The growth (image) history of each well can be tracked back to its starting point – providing evidence of monoclonality
Data courtesy of CMC ICOS Biologics Inc., USA
- Monoclonality verification using CloneSelect Imager: Application Note Download
Monitor colony growth after selection of secreting cells
After screening and selection of cell lines using ClonePix™ System, CloneSelect Imager provides the ideal solution for monitoring and evaluating subsequent outgrowth and, eventually, productivity of the selected cell lines.
Track Colony Outgrowth
Normalize Downstream Results to Cell Number
CloneSelect Imager estimates the number of cells per well. Data is then exported to enable normalization of results from ELISA or cell-based assays against cell number.
Case study: Tecan-monoclonal antibody production, cell expansion
Read how the Tecan Integration Group integrated CloneSelect Imager with Freedom EVO® to automate cell expansion and confluence measurement of MAb-producing cell lines at Monash University, Australia.
- Tecan Integration Group - Monoclonal Antibody Production, Cell Expansion. Part of the Monash system: Case Study Download
Case Study: Beckman Coulter - Automation of Cell Line Optimization
Read how CloneSelect Imager is utilized in a novel hardware solution for automating cell line optimization and expansion.
- Beckman Coulter - Cell Culture Automation in BioPharma: Cell Line Optimization and Monoclonal Antibody Production: Case Study Download
General Cell Culture
Colony Forming Assay
Objective, Time-Saving Analysis
- Every well can be imaged at any time point
- Colony number and area quantified objectively
- Focus on wells of interest, e.g. where growth is inhibited by test compounds
Review Results and Export Data
- Dual gating for colony area and compactness
- View each well at different time points
- Export colony data
Assessment of Cell Viability (MTT Assay)
CloneSelect Imager offers several benefits over traditional MTT assays for assessing cell viability in response to a cytotoxic challenge.
- Replace time-consuming conventional techniques
- Monitor cell death over time
- Ensure a permanent record of data
- Avoid costly reagents - no staining required
“THIS NEW IMAGE-BASED TECHNIQUE HAS THE POTENTIAL TO REPLACE THE CUMBERSOME MTT ASSAY WHEN FAST, UNBIASED AND HIGH-THROUGHPUT CYTOTOXICITY ASSAYS ARE REQUESTED.”
ACCURATE NON-INVASIVE IMAGE-BASED CYTOTOXICITY ASSAYS FOR CULTURED CELLS MARQUES-GALLEGO ET AL., BMC BIOTECHNOLOGY 2010, 10:43
Cell Migration Assay
CloneSelect Imager offers rapid, objective quantification of cell migration assays.
- Determine migration rates, maximum migration rate and total migration area
- Time-saving - scan a 96 well plate in <2 minutes
- Convenient, label-free quantification
Review Results and Export Data
- Obtain graphical display of migration area vs. time
- Easy to read, numerical and graphical output
Case Study: using cloneSelect Imager for media and cell culture Optimization
Data courtesy of Ben Hughes Senior Bioprocess Engineer, NCRIS Biologics Facility, Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (AIBN), University of Queensland
Acknowledgements to Warren Pilbrough and Dr. Trent Munro
- Monitor serially-diluted cultures in a 96-well format to rapidly screen culture variables
- Tissue culture ware (treated vs. non-treated, square vs. round bottom wells)
- Media (volume, commercial vs. in-house formulations, supplementation)
- Environment (sealed plates, humidification, effect of disturbances)
- Load high-throughput 96-well plates
- Add cells in exponential growth (~0.1 x106 cells/mL) to row 1
- Serially dilute cells across plate to row 12 - Eight replicates per dilution
- Image plates on CloneSelect Imager
- Initial “Day 0” time point
- Periodically monitored over 1-2 weeks
- CloneSelect Imager data review
- “% confluence” data utilized to identify optimal conditions
Identifying low-cell density growth conditions
- Significant improvements achieved in 2-week period with minimal effort by single FTE
Additional information gained on cellular morphology and understanding of growth characteristics
- Multiple nucleation points vs. “edge only” growth
- Identified sub-optimal environmental conditions or “edge-effects”
Summary from AIBN:
- Excellent workflow obtainable using CloneSelect Imager
- Maximize success rate for serum-free colony outgrowth in chemically-defined media by prior optimization of growth conditions
- Efficient tracking of cell confluence ensures high viability is maintained, leading to rapid expansion for evaluating clones in shake flasks (2-3 weeks from picking)
- Use of the CloneSelect Imager is particularly useful for optimizing clonal outgrowth strategies when platform approaches are not suitable i.e., investigating new cell lines or variants
- Improved productivity of cell line development using fully integrated automated solutions: a series of case studies with the CloneSelect Imager
- Enhanced development of virus-specific hybridomas using ClonePix and CloneSelect Imager Technologies
- Confluence and Growth Curve Generation
- Objective Quantification of Cell Migration
- Rapid Monoclonality Verification Methods to Boost Cell Line Development
- Non-Invasive, Label-Free Analysis of Cell Migration using CloneSelect Imager
- Imaging, Screening and Automated Selection of Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells
- Rapid Development of a Serum-Free, Suspension-Adapted CHO Cell Production Process
- Improved Hybridoma Discovery for Immunodiagnostics Using ClonePix and CloneSelect Imager Technologies
- Identification and Selection of GPCR Cell Lines with ClonePix 2 System
- Accurate non-invasive image-based cytotoxicity assays for cultured cells.
Marqués-Gallego P, den Dulk H, Backendorf C, Brouwer J, Reedijk J, Burke JF.
BMC Biotechnol. 2010 Jun 17;10:43. doi: 10.1186/1472-6750-10-43.
- Rapid Cell Line Development with Integrated Protein Analysis
Bioprocess International. 2010 Jul; 8:7.
For product configurations and pricing on CloneSelect Imager, please contact us.
For instrument qualification services, please click here.
For a complete list of citations, please click here.