Axon Axopatch 200B Capacitor Feedback Patch Clamp Amplifier
The benchmark for single-channel recordings and other applications where an excellent signal-to-noise ratio is key.
Widely accepted as the gold-standard for ultra low-noise patch clamp recordings, the Axopatch™ 200B Capacitor Feedback Patch Clamp Amplifier is the benchmark for single-channel recordings and other applications that require an excellent signal-to-noise ratio. By introducing active cooling of components in the headstage to well below 0°C, the open-circuit noise in patch mode has been reduced to unprecedented levels, as low as <15 fA (RMS) at 0.1 - 1 kHz. This translates into significantly lower noise during patch clamp recordings. A headstage that can be switched to resistive mode ensures superb performance in whole-cell recordings, too. This makes the Axopatch 200B System the amplifier of choice for a scientist who performs basic research in the ion channel field and is the reason why researchers purchased thousands of these amplifiers from Molecular Devices over the past decade.
In addition to ultra-low noise and whole-cell performance, the slim design of the headstage improves electrode access to the preparation by making it easier to fit under your microscope. The Axopatch 200B Amplifier gives you the utmost flexibility through three recording configurations in a single headstage: one patch and two whole cell ranges, with capacitance compensation ranges of 100 pF and 1000 pF. Increased voltage and current command ranges (up to ±1V) are useful for electrochemical measurements. The built-in capacitance dithering capability enables highly accurate capacitance measurements. Seal test has become more versatile, featuring current steps in current clamp mode as well as voltage steps in voltage clamp mode. The recording bandwidth has been extended up to 100 kHz, allowing you to capture even the fastest events. Series resistance compensation is active in current clamp as well as in voltage clamp mode to enable bridge balance operation and improve amplifier performance.
- Actively cooled capacitor-feedback headstage reduces thermal noise for signal-to-noise ratios close to the theoretical limits of physics
- Integrating headstage mode for measuring sub-picoamp currents to enable high-fidelity single-channel recordings from cell membranes and artificial bilayers
- Resistive headstage mode for larger currents and noise levels in whole-cell recordings
- Slim headstage design for easier access to the preparation on a crowded microscope stage
- Series resistance compensation: Prediction helps achieve the desired command level faster by transiently supercharging the membrane potential
- Series resistance compensation: Correction improves the bandwidth of the recording by eliminating the error introduced by the voltage drop across the series resistance
- Dual-speed current clamp optimizes speed and stability through better matching of the clamp algorithm to experimental parameters
- Integrated seal test in voltage- and current-clamp mode for easy monitoring of membrane and cell health parameters
- Dual command potentials add flexibility by processing input signals from two different sources
- Selectable holding command input with two internal range settings and an external input enable convenient control of the output waveform
- Pipette capacitance compensation neutralizes the contribution of the glass pipette and the pipette holder to the capacitance of the circuitry
- Cell capacitance compensation corrects for the capacitance of the cell membrane in whole-cell recordings
- Selectable output gain with 10 settings to scale the output signal to the desired level
- Leak subtraction for correction of leak currents without software-based algorithms
- Sophisticated 4-pole Bessel low-pass filter acts as anti-aliasing filter and can be used to pre-condition the output signal
- Configurable panel meter displays user-selectable parameters in real time for quick monitoring of the experiment
- Zap facilitates patch rupturing by applying a voltage pulse for a user-defined duration
- Two included pipette holders of different barrel lengths accept glass pipettes in most standard dimensions
- User guide written by scientific consultants, with the assistance of Axon Instruments staff, for straightforward start-up and as an in-depth reference