Axon Axoclamp 900A Microelectrode Amplifier
A complete microelectrode current clamp and voltage clamp amplifier, useful for a wide range of intracellular microelectrode recording techniques.
The Axoclamp™ 900A Microelectrode Amplifier features many enhancements that improve its recording capability, make the amplifier easier to use, and help your experiments last longer.
The Axoclamp 900A Microelectrode Amplifier provides the following modes of operation:
- I-Clamp: Current clamp using two independent bridge amplifiers for voltage measurements
- DCC: Discontinuous current clamp for accurate voltage measurements, even when the electrode resistance changes
- TEVC: High-compliance two-electrode voltage clamp for Xenopus oocytes and mammalian cells
- dSEVC: Discontinuous single-electrode voltage clamp for small cells with large currents
- HVIC: High-voltage current clamp for extracellular applications such as iontophoresis
Excellent amplifier performance
The ±180 V output compliance used for TEVC and HVIC modes makes it possible to pass larger currents and ensures faster clamp speeds. TEVC and dSEVC modes both have wide AC voltage clamp gain ranges for excellent voltage control. When DC Restore is enabled, the DC voltage clamp gain is greater than 1,000,000, ensuring optimal voltage control for constant-voltage measurements. The new dSEVC design is more stable and twice as fast as before, providing an excellent alternative to standard continuous single-electrode voltage clamping.
Although the Axoclamp 900A Amplifer is a computer-controlled amplifier, the mouse and keyboard are not the only means of controlling the instrument. The optional SoftPanel was designed for those who prefer the more conventional feel to amplifier control of knobs and buttons. By way of a USB connection, the SoftPanel physically replicates all essential amplifier functions by acting as a hardware extension of the Axoclamp 900A Commander Software. SoftPanel knobs replicate continuous mouse controls ("gliders"), while buttons replicate single-click mouse controls.
In combination with a Digidata® 1550 Data Acquisition System and pCLAMP™ Software, the Axoclamp 900A Amplifier forms the core of a recording setup like those used in many electrophysiology labs around the world. Computer control of the amplifier ensures correct scaling and logging of experimental parameters. The Clampex Data Acquisition Module in pCLAMP Software makes optimal use of the features of the Axoclamp 900A Amplifier.
A variety of different headstages are available for use with the Axoclamp 900A Amplifier. Three headstages with current-passing gains for applications as diverse as extracellular recording, bath potential recording, ion-sensitive recording, iontophoresis and intracellular recording from small or large cells are available as follows:
- HS-9A x0.1U
- HS-9A x1U
- HS-9A x10U
Virtual-ground headstages may be optionally used with the Axoclamp 900A amplifier to measure and control whole-bath current. Available models are:
- VG-9A x10
- VG-9A x100
Two HS-9A headstages must be ordered with the Axoclamp 900A Amplifier main unit. Additional headstages can be ordered for more flexibility. Any combination of two HS-9A headstages can be used with the Axoclamp 900A Amplifier. The two auxiliary headstage connectors accept any HS-9A or VG-9A headstage and allow operation with up to a total of four headstages.
- Five modes of operation provide the broadest range of electrophysiological applications
- Software control of all amplifier settings for automated optimization features, reduction of manipulation steps, and convenient, reliable telegraphing
- Optional SoftPanel allows amplifier control using knobs and buttons for a more conventional feel to amplifier control
- Large output compliance range (±180 V in TEVC and HVIC modes) enable passing larger currents and ensures faster clamp speeds
- Wide AC voltage clamp gain ranges in TEVC and dSEVC modes for excellent voltage control
- Space-saving headstage design for easier access to the preparation on a crowded microscope stage
- New dSEVC design with more stability and faster clamp provides an excellent alternative to standard continuous single-electrode voltage clamping
- Pipette Capacitance Compensation neutralizes the contribution of the glass pipette and the pipette holder to the capacitance of the circuitry
- Automatic oscillation detection prevents damage to a cell when electrical feedback occurs
- Selectable output gain with 11 settings to scale the output signal to the desired level
- Audio monitor for acoustic tracking of the signal while you are busy looking down a microscope
- Fine-tunable 4-pole Bessel and Butterworth low-pass filters act as anti-aliasing filters and can be used to pre-condition the output signal
- Buzz feature with a hand-held remote switch facilitates breaking through cell membranes
- Two included pipette holders of different barrel lengths accept glass pipettes in most standard dimensions
- User guide written by scientific consultants, with the assistance of Axon Instruments staff, for straightforward start-up and as an in-depth reference